Archives > Historical Features > Penn Biographies

PENN BIOGRAPHIES

Frank Eyre (1854 - 1934)

University Affiliation:
  • Class of 1875, M.D. 1876, Ph.D. 1876
  • Founding member and coxswain of the College Boat Club
  • Member of Philo and Zelo and of Delta Psi and Sigma Chi fraternities
  • Demonstrator of Toxicology and Medical Jurisprudence, Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy
Biographical Summary:
  • Physician and dental surgeon

 

Frank Eyre was born at 256 South 5th Street in Philadelphia on June 9, 1854, the son of Edward Engle Eyre and Anna Stockton Eyre. He entered the College of the University of Philadelphia in the fall of 1871

While a student in the College, Eyre was a member of both the Philomathean Society and the Zelosophic Society. He was a founding member of the College Boat Club, serving as its first coxswain, or captain. He was a member of the Class of 1875 as a freshman, sophomore, and during his first year in the Medical Department. The 1875 yearbook also lists him as a member of both Delta Psi fraternity and the new Sigma Chi fraternity.

Eyre left the College after his sophomore year to enter Penn's medical and graduate schools, earning both his M.D. and Ph.D. in 1876. From 1876 to 1880, Eyre taught at the University of Pennsylvania as Demonstrator of Toxicology and Medical Jurisprudence and as Assistant Demonstrator of Anatomy. During these years he was also studying and teaching at other clinics and dispensaries in Philadelphia, earning his D.D.S. degree from the Philadelphia Dental College in 1879.

Frank Eyre married Jessie G. Gause in 1880 and moved to North Henderson, Illinois, to practice medicine as a physician and dental surgeon. He died there in August of 1934.