University Archives and Records Center
University of Pennsylvania

 

Map of the University City Urban Renewal Area, 1965

image of map of University City

To view larger image (225 k), click here.

Description:

This map, prepared at or very near the high point of funding for urban renewal programs in Philadelphia, neatly summarizes all the major redevelopment initiatives in University City between 1948 and 1965. Bounded by 30th Street Station and the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad on the east (right margin), by Spruce Street on the south (bottom margin), 43rd Street on the west (left margin), and Powelton Avenue on the north (top margin), the map identifies each phase of Redevelopment Authority's assistance to the University of Pennsylvania in its post-World War II expansion.

The first elements of Penn's expansion were new buildings for the Wharton School (Dietrich Hall, now joined with Steinberg Hall) and the Physics Department (the David Rittenhouse Laboratory), completed in 1952 and 1954, respectively. In 1962, Penn completed the new Annenberg School of Communication, a redevelopment project it had initiated in 1959. Penn and its neighbor, the Drexel Institute of Technology (now Drexel University), developed the land in University City Units 1a, 1b, and 2-the so-called Project "A"-in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Penn completed and opened the Women's Residence Hall (now Hill House) on Unit 2 in 1960 and the Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter on Unit 1a in 1964. Then in 1965, the City and Penn partnered in their most ambitious projects, Units 3 and 4. Unit 4 provided for the extension of Locust Walk to 40th Street and the development of "Superblock" between Spruce and Walnut Streets and 38th and 40th Streets. Unit 3, the largest of the five areas, became the site of the University City Science Center, as well as University City High School and an expanded Presbyterian-University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. Unit 5 was set aside for the expansion of Drexel's campus.

{Artist or photographer:} {artist text}

Date: 1965

Medium: {Medium text}

Source:

Annual Report for 1965, Redevelopment Authority, City of Philadelphia (Available at the Fine Arts Library, The University of Pennsylvania).

Digital Reference: not available

For use of digital images consult:

History of University City Science Center

 

SEARCH | HOME


University Archives | Collection Guides | Primary Documents | Historical Features | Doing Research | Contact | PRIVACY
University Records Center | University of Pennsylvania