Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits

UNIVERSITY HISTORY

Timeline of University History

1740

Trust formed to establish a Charity School in Philadelphia at Fourth and Arch Streets

1749

The Academy is founded, with Benjamin Franklin named its President

1750

The Trustees of the Academy buy the building of the Charity school

1751

Academy opens in January. Free Charity School opens in September

1755

College chartered with the Reverend William Smith as the Provost

1757

First College class is graduated

1765

Medical School established

1775

The Continental Congress attends Commencement

1778

Continental Congress meets in College Hall

1779

The College is taken over by the State of Pennsylvania and renamed the University of the State of Pennsylvania

1784

Louis XVI donates books to the University Library

1789

College of Philadelphia is reactivated

1790

Law lectures given by James Wilson, one of the four original Associate Justices of the United States Supreme Court

1791

By an Act of Legislature, the University of the State of Pennsylvania and the College of Philadelphia, are united as the University of Pennsylvania

1802-1829

University occupies the House built for the President of the United States, purchased by the University in 1800

1813

The Philomathean Literary Society founded

1829-1872

University occupies two new buildings, at Ninth and Chestnut Streets, designed by William Strickland

1842

Cricket becomes Penn's first organized sport

1849

Delta Phi founded, the University's first Greek-letter fraternity

1850

Law School founded

1852

School of Engineering and Applied Science founded

1862

Penn Glee Club founded

1863

Scientific "Lazzaroni" under Professor Alexander Dallas Bache brings about foundation of the National Academy of Sciences

Student Record, yearbook first published by the Class of 1865

1870

Purchase of the Almshouse farm in West Philadelphia as the new site for the University, under Provost Charles Janeway Stillé

1872

Classes held in College Hall on the new campus in West Philadelphia

Department of Science established

1873

Athletic Association founded

Medical Hall (later Logan and then Claudia Cohen Hall)

1874

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania

College Boat Club clubhouse

1875

University Magazine, first student news publication

1876

First Pennsylvania intercollegiate football game. A team from Yale was the opponent

1877

Robert Hare Medical and Dental Laboratory

1878

School of Dental Medicine founded

1880

First Penn degree conferred on a woman

1881

Wharton School of Finance and Commerce founded

1882

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences founded

1884

School of Veterinary Medicine founded

Biological Hall (later McFarlane Hall of Botany Hall)

Pennsylvanian founded (later the Daily Pennsylvanian.)

1885

First Athletic Field on campus

Eadweard Muybridge's photography studio

1887

University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology founded

Maternity Hospital and Mortuary Chapel (HUP)

1888

Red & Blue magazine founded

1889

First earned Ph.D. awarded

The Mask and Wig Club founded

1890

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology begun

Botanical Gardens

1891

Lea Institute of Hygiene (later Smith Chemistry Laboratory and Lea Laboratory of Hygiene)

Nurses Hall

University Library (now Anne and Jerome Fisher Fine Arts Library)

1892

Wistar Institute founded

1893

Graduate School of Education founded

1894

Agnew Memorial Pavilion (HUP)

William Pepper Laboratory of Clinical Medicine (HUP)

Pepper Maternity Hospital (HUP)

Quadrangle Dormitories

1895

Dental Hall (later Fine Arts, now Hayden Hall)

Franklin Field

First of the Quadrangle dormitories

Mechanical (Engineering) Laboratory and Central Heat and Power Plant

1896

Houston Hall, first student union in America, opened

1897

Museum of Science and Art (now The University Museum)

1900

Association of American Universities established, with the University as one of the fourteen founding members

Law School building (later Lewis Hall, now Silverman Hall)

Music Building and Morgan Building (Arts and Sciences, built 1892, acquired 1900)

1904

John Morgan Building (Medicine)

Weightman Hall

1905

White Training House (now the Dunning Coaches' Center)

1906

Towne Building (SEAS)

1909

School of Social Work founded

1910

Leidy Laboratories of Biology (Arts and Sciences)

1912

Veterinary Medicine Old Quadrangle

1915

Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute

Duhring Wing

1920

School of Fine Arts founded

1922

Franklin Field Stadium

1923

Moore School of Electrical Engineering founded

1925

Bennett Hall (now Fisher - Bennett Hall)

1926

Moore School Building acquired

Palestra

1928

Anatomy Chemistry Building (Medicine)

Hutchinson Gymnasium

Irvine Auditorium

1930

Thomas Sovereign Gates named first President of the University

1932

Morris Arboretum

1933

College of Liberal Arts for Women founded

1935

School of Nursing founded

1940

Cret Wing of Chemistry Laboratories (Arts and Sciences)

1944

George William McClelland becomes President of the University

1948

Harold Edward Stassen becomes President of the University

1950

School of Law's 100th Anniversary

1952

Engineering and Applied Science and 100th Aniversary

Faculty Senate organized

1953

William Hagan DuBarry becomes Acting President of the University

Gaylord Probasco Harnwell becomes President of the University

1954

The Ivy League established, with the University as one of the eight founding members

David Rittenhouse Laboratory (Arts and Sciences)

1958

Chemistry Laboratories, 1958 Wing

1959

Annenberg School for Communication founded

Ringe Squash Courts

Skinner Hall (now Charles Addams Fine Arts Hall)

1960

Women’s Residence Hall (later re-named Hill College House)

1961

Medical Science Research Laboratory (Medicine)

1962

Charles Patterson Van Pelt Library

Annenberg School for Communication building

Graduate School of Education building

Richards Medical Research Laboratories (Medicine)

1963

Institute of Contemporary Art founded

Gittis Hall and Pepper Hall (Law)

1964

Graduate School of Education's 50th Anniversary

Blockley Hall (Medicine)

Goddard Laboratories (Arts and Sciences)

Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter built  (Arts and Sciences and SEAS)

Mayer Residence Hall (now part of Stouffer College House)

Gladys Rosenthal Building (Veterinary)

1965

Power Transmission Laboratory (now the Edison Building, SEAS)

1966

School of Medicine's Bicentennial

Caster Building (Social Policy and Practice)

Dietrich Graduate Library addition to Van Pelt Library

Graduate Research Wing of the Moore School (SEAS)

Stiteler Hall (School of Arts and Sciences)

Richard L. Solomon Laboratories of Experimental Psychology (Arts and Sciences)

1967

Franklin Building

Meyerson Hall (Design)

1969

Robert Wood Johnson Pavilion (Medicine)

1970

Martin Meyerson becomes President of the University

Class of 1920 Commons

Class of 1923 Ice Rink

Levy Center for Oral Health Research (Dental Medicine)

McNeil Building

Rodin, Harnwell and Harrison College Houses (“Superblock”)

Sansom East and West (“Graduate Towers”)

Stiteler Hall built (Arts and Sciences)

1971

Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts

Museum Academic Wing

Penn's first College House, Van Pelt Manor (later renamed Gregory College House)

DuBois College House

1972

Stouffer College House Freshman seminar program begins

Affirmative Action program for women and minorities begins

Three scientists with the University ties receive Nobel Prizes

Claire M. Fagin Hall (Nursing)

Mabel Pew Myrin Pavilion (Medicine)

Vance Hall (Wharton)

Williams Hall (Arts and Sciences)

1973

Chemistry Laboratories, 1973 Wing

1974

Faculty of Arts and Sciences begun, combining the College, the College for Women, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and the Social Sciences departments of the Wharton School

1975

Penn Tower (Medicine)

1977

Robert P. Levy Tennis Pavilion

1978

School of Dental Medicine’s 100th Anniversary

Edward J. Stemmler Hall (Medicine)

1980

Ryan Veterinary hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Veterinary)

1981

F. Sheldon Hackney becomes President of the University

Wharton School's 100th Anniversary

Eisenlohr Hall (built 1912) becomes the official residence of the University President

1983

Medical Office Building, 51 North 39th Street

Steinberg Addition to Steinberg-Dietrich Hall (Wharton)

1984

Veterinary Medicine's 100th Anniversary

Albert M. Greenfield Intercultural Center

1985

School of Nursing's 50th Anniversary

1986

Steinberg Conference Center (Wharton)

1987

3401 Walnut Street

1989

Clinical Research Building (Medicine)

1990

School of Design's 100th Anniversary

Institute of Contemporary Art, new home on 36th Street

Lauder-Fischer Hall (Wharton)

1992

Elliott and Roslyn Jaffe History of Art Building (Arts and Sciences)

1993

Claire M. Fagin becomes Interim President of the University

Biddle Law Library – Nicole E. Tannenbaum Hall (Law)

1994

University inaugurates its first woman President, Judith Rodin. Rodin is a graduate of the College for Women, Class of 1966, the first University alumnus to be named President in 50 years

Elliot and Rosly Jaffe History of Art Building

Stellar - Chance Laboratories (Medicine)

1995

Presbyterian Hospital purchased

1996

Melvin and Claire Levine Hall/Weiss Tech House (SEAS)

1997

Pennsylvania Hospital purchased

Roy and Diana Vagelos Laoratories (Arts and Sciences and SEAS)

1998

Public Safety, 4040 Chestnut Street

1999

Biomedical Research Building 2 (Medicine)

Inn at Penn and University Bookstore

2000

Module 7 Utility Building

2001

Charles Addams Fine Arts Hall

Left Bank

Penn-Alexander School (Sadie Tanner Mossell Alexander School)

2002

150th Anniversary of SEAS

Jon M. Huntsman Hall (Wharton)

Pottruck Health and Fitness Center

Robert Schattner Center (Dental Medicine)

2003

Hill Square

Hillel at Steinhardt Hall

2004

Amy Gutmann becomes President of the University and in her Inaugural address, she announces the Penn Compact, the cornerstone on which her administration will be built: increasing access, integrating knowledge, and engaging globally and locally

2005

250th Anniversary of the College

Translational Research Laboratory (Medicine)

McNeil Center for Early American Studies

2006

Penn Connects, new master plan for the University, in anticipation of the acquisition of the major expansion of the campus to the east

Vernon and Shirley Hill Pavilion (Veterinary Medicine)

Carolyn Lynch Laboratory (Arts and Sciences)

Skirkanich Hall (SEAS)

2007

The University acquires a major vacant space along the Schuylkill River

Making History”, a 5-year campaign for Penn’s future

Domus apartments

The Hub

2008

School of Social Policy and Practice’s 100th Anniversary

Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine (Medicine)

The Radian

2009

Annenberg School’s 50th Anniversary

Annenberg Public Policy Center

2010

Translational Research Center (Medicine)

George A. Weiss Pavilion at Franklin Field

This list is an updated adaptation of the Chronology found in Martin Meyerson's and Dilys Pegler Winegrad's Gladly Learn and Gladly Teach, 1978.

More information on campus buildings

 

 

RELATED LINKS:

More timelines of Penn history