Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits

UNIVERSITY HISTORY

Holiday greeting cards to Hannah and Spence:
From John Noble Richards

From the Architectural Alumni Graphics Collection of Franklin Spencer Roach and Hannah Benner Roach

 

John Noble Richards(1904-?), Cert. Prof. 1926, B.Arch. 1931

 

Yearbook photograph of John Noble Richards Born 1904 in Warren, Ohio, John Noble Richards studied architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, where in 1928, he was awarded the Paul Cret Medal for Excellence in Architectural Design. Later, he was also awarded the Stewardson European Traveling Scholarship.

Richards was affiliated with the architecture offices of Edwin Brumbaugh and Zantzinger, Borie & Medary in Philadelphia before moving to Toledo, Ohio in 1932.

In 1940, he became partner in the firm of Bellman, Gillett and Richards. His many projects included the Ohio State University Student Union and Mershon Auditorium, the Masonic Complex in Toledo, and the Ohio Bell Telephone Company Cherry Center Office in Toledo. He served in many civic leadership positions, including mayor of the village of Ottawa Hills, member of Toledo's Metroplitian Planning Commision, and from 1958 to 1960, as President of the national AIA.

 

Image of Richards' 1952 card featuring architectural landmarks from EuropeImage of Richards' 1954 card featuring a cut-away view of their house