Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits

UNIVERSITY HISTORY

Histories of Early Penn Fraternities:
Phi Delta Phi

 

In April, 1886, a chapter of Phi Delta Phi was installed at the University of Pennsylvania and named in honor of Chief Justice Gibson of Pennsylvania. This Law School fraternity first appeared in The Record of 1888, no doubt filling the place formerly represented by the Sigma chapter of Delta Beta Phi. Phi Delta Phi appeared in The Record for five consecutive years, then lost its place for twelve years before re-appearing in The Record for 1897. Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1930 edition) stated that the Gibson chapter was established at Penn in 1886 and was still active in 1930.

Photograph of Phi Delta Phi members on steps of the Law School, 1907
On the steps of the Law School, 1907

 

These histories were researched and written by Benjamin Foster Carlson

 

Illustration for Fraternity section of 1901 Record

EARLY PENN FRATERNITIES CONTENTS:

Introduction

Earliest account of Penn fraternities, by George D. Budd A.B. 1862

Listing of fraternities

 

 

RELATED LINKS:

More on Penn in the Nineteenth Century

 

 

Photograph of Phi Kappa Sigma house at 3537 Locust Street, 1905,
Kappa Alpha house at
3537 Locust Street, 1923

 

Photograph of Phi Kappa Sigma house at 3537 Locust Street, 1905,
Kappa Alpha house at
3803 Locust Street, 1960