Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits


In the News: 1962-1963


From the Daily Pennsylvanian, February 27, 1963:


Quakers Clinch Big Five Tie By Beating Temple 59-53


Penn's basketball squad clinched a tie for the Big Five championship last night by defeating Temple, 59-53, at the Palestra.
Eighteen point performances by John Wideman and Sid Amira plus the rebounding of center Dave Robinson gave the Quakers their eighteenth victory against five defeats and their third win with only a single defeat in the Big Five play.


LaSalle Must Top Cats

If LaSalle whips Villanova this Saturday at the Palestra following the Penn-Cornell Ivy League encounter the Quakers will win their first Big Five chanmpionship since the beginning of round-robin play in 1955. There are no more student tickets left for the Saturday doubleheader.

Penn was never behind in the slow moving game, but held on to a lead which fluctuated from 12 points with 8:24 remaining in the first half to 2 points with 9:29 left to play in the second stanza.

With rebounding even for both teams, the difference in shooting percentages became the relevant figure for the game as Penn pumped in a respectable 25 baskets out of 56 shots for a 44:6 per cent total, sinking more than half their second-half shots, while the Owls took twelve more shots to make 24 baskets for a 35.3 percent clip.

On the foul line, however, team captain John Wideman practiced missing foul shots all night and the rest of the team joined him to list a poor 9 for 20 total from the line. After finding ways to miss 7 foul shots in a row, Wideman finally found the cords when Temple had closed Penn's margin to 4 with 36 remaining. He canned two straight shots to send home recuperated Jack McCloskey with a big grin and Temple's Harry Litwack with a handful of moulted owl feathers.

For Litwack, it was a night to forget. After his hot and cold ball team whipped NCAA bound Pitt last Saturday night, they not only couldn't make shots in the early minutes of the game, but took nearly 4 minutes to take a shot from the field.


Fans Begin to Leave

Fans were getting ready to leave the Palestra when Frank Bishop canned a 26 foot set shot with 16:28 remaining in the first half.

While Temple was trying to penetrate the man for man Penn defense, each of Penn's starters pumped in a two pointer, and waltzed to a 24-12 lead with 8:24 remaining to a "rack-em-up" Penn cheering ensemble.

Temple then entered the Palestra and scored four straight field goals, whereupon Penn stopped waltzing and started to try to shoot. For five minutes the Quakers acted like conscientious objectors and didn't make a shot until Wideman traded baskets with Temple with 3:32 remaining to end the scoring in the first half at 26-22.

As the second half started, Temple had trouble getting adjusted to the new basket and Carazo, Wideman, and Robinson canned 2 pointers to bring Penn's lead to 12 at 16:13 of the second half. After trading baskets with the Owls to bring the count to 38-28 the Quakers watched Green get a single foul as Kasmer's 2 baskets and Richardson's jumper combined with 2 foul shots by Fitzgerald to close the gap to 2 points at 39-37 with 8:40 to go.

It took less than three minutes to show the fans on whose campus the Palestra is located. Layups by Greene and Wideman and short sets by Amira and Wideman upped Penn's margin to eight with 6:37.

After trading baskets with the Owls to bring the score to 53-45, a long set by Kasmer and a tap in by Elemer Snethen brought the difference to four when Carazo threw a full court pass to Robinson with 1:43 the latter laying the ball up to bring Penn to a 55-51 mark. Another the Bishop long sets was followed by Wideman's two foul shots.