Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits


In the News: 1962-1963


From the Daily Pennsylvanian, February 13, 1963:


Quakers Upset LaSalle on Rebounding Power

By Bill Chasanov


An alert Penn basketball team, running from the starting whistle to the final buzzer, stopped the nation's third longest winning streak when it upset LaSalle last night in the Palestra 78-74.

LaSalle entered the game as nine point favorites as a result of its great height, but the Dunkel system forgot to take into consideration the determination and hustle of Dave Robinson (17 rebounds); John Wideman (9), Sid Maira (10), and Joe Andrews (10).

The win gives Penn a 2-1 record in the Big Five and leaves them in first place. If the Quakers can beat Temple next week, they can do no worse than tie with LaSalle for its first Big Five championship.

Last night Jack McCloskey solved the problem of LaSalle's tremendous height by wisely employing his bench of Andrews, Fred Greene, and Bruce Moore. The Quakers outrebounded the Explorers 63-62 and were led in scoring by Ray Carazo with 20 points on 17 shots. Other Quakers in double figures were John Wideman (10), Robinson (17), and Amira (17). Corace led all scorers with 30 points on 33 shots.

The first half began with 6 foot Ray Carazo jumping center against 6'8" Walt Sampson. The hustling Penn squad started quickly and had an early lead of 3-0 on a foul shot by Robinson and a basket by Amira. LaSalle quickly retaliated to tie the score on Bill Raftery's field goal and George Sutor's one pointer on Robinson's second personal foul with the game only 58 seconds old.

At this point the teams traded field goals and foul shots at a furious pace with Penn emerging on top at halftime. During the first half Penn made 19 of 39 shots from the floor (48.7%) while LaSalle's accuracy was a little less at 43.2%.

With sixteen minutes left in the first half both teams had five personal fouls. However, the only player to foul out was George Sutor. With 12:18 left and the score 21-19 in favor of LaSalle Joe Andrews replaced John Wideman in the lineup. By the end of the first half 6'7" Andrews, who played his best game of the year, helped the Quakers overcome this deficit and leave the Palestra at halftime with a 51-45 lead.

At the start of the second period Carazo and Robinson hit two outside jump shots to widen Penn's lead to 10 points. With the score at 60-49 and 16:52 left in the game, LaSalle rallied behind the outside shooting of Frank Corace to close the gap to 60-59. At this point Sutor had a chance to tie the score, but missed the foul shot. This was an opportunity for Penn and they took advantage of it by scoring three straight points.

But the Explores came right back on field goals by Corace (2), Tony Abbot and Sampson to lead the Quakers 67-65 with 8:54 left in the game.

Coach Jack McCloskey immediately inserted Robinson back into the lineup and the Quakers reeled off eight straight to regain the lead 73-69. In the closing minute of play with LaSalle striking back, lay-ups by Jeff Sturn and Robinson iced Penn's greatest victory of the year.