Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits


In the News: 1959-1960


From the Daily Pennsylvanian,January 21, 1960:


Penn Beats Owls in Big Five Play As Mklvy Excels

By Paul M. Struhl


Thanks to a fine Penn defense and an extremely poor shooting show by Temple, Coach Jack McCloskey's Red and Blue pulled thrilling 50-47 upset victory over the Owls before 2,957 fans at the Palestra last night.

The Quakers employed a one-two-two zone defense at the outset of the encounter, and the cold Temple squad managed to miss the first 16 shots they took from the floor.


Owls Rally

The Owls rallied from a nine point deficit at the half to cut the Penn advantage to 48-46 with 3:55 remaining in the contest.

The remainder of the game had all the fans at the Palestra on their feet as both squads managed to throw the ball away on several key occasions.

With a little over two minutes remaining, the Quakers went into a freeze, which proved to be quite effective. Penn's Ron Regan was fouled with 26 seconds remaining, and converted the free throw to give Penn a three point lead.


Regan Ices Contest

Drysdale scored on one of two foul shots with ten seconds to go. In the fight for the rebound on the missed foul shot, Regan was fouled by Kennedy and iced the contest by converting one free throw.
The Owls also employed a zone defense, but paced by Bob Mklvy's fine outside shooting, the Quakers rolled up a 14-4 advantage mid-way through the first half. The Temple squad managed to score on two foul shots by Bill Kennedy and two by Bruce Drysdale.

The Quakers missed many fine opportunities to break the contest wide open, and with 8:39 remaining in the opening half, Temple's John Koskinen scored on a jump shot to give the Owls their first field goal.

Kennedy and Drysdale each hit on jump shots to cut Penn's lead to four points. Led by Mlkvy and Dave Kwait, the Red and Blue pulled away to a 28-19 halftime advantage.

Russ Gordon kept the Owls in the contest, as he hit for three baskets in the closing minutes of the half. Gordon was almost the cause of a fight erupting in the closing seconds of the first stanza, as he elbowed Stew Greenleaf on a fight for a rebound, knocking Greenleaf to the floor. A technical foul was called against Gordon, but Mlkvy missed the free throw.

The shooting statistics for the first half were quite poor, as Harry Litwack's Owls managed to connect on only seven out of 34 attempts from the floor. The Red and Blue were not much more effective as they hit on ten of 33 field goals attempted.

Added to the woes of the Temple team in the opening half was the fact that Earl Proctor picked up three personal fouls in the first six minutes of the contest and had to sit out most of the half.

The second half was not as sloppily played as the first half, when both teams were able to hit from the floor with a bit more frequency.

Temple cut the Penn advantage to 36-32 with 11:47 remaining, and it looked as though the Owls were going to overtake the scrappy Quaker quintet. In the next four minutes of the encounter, Kwait sparked the Penn team as he hit two set shots and two jumpers.

A basket by Mlkvy sandwiched between Kwait's four field goals gave the Red and Blue a 46-38 lead with seven minutes to go in the game.

Gordon tapped in two rebounds, and the score read 46-42 with five minutes to go. But once again, the "hot" Mr. Kwait scored on a driving lay-up to extend the Penn lead to six points.

Koskinen tallied on a jump shot and Proctor followed up with a driving lay-up to set the stage for the thrilling climax.

Mlkvy was the high scorer for Penn tallying 17 points. He was followed in the scoring column by Kwait, who turned in his finest performance of the season with 16 tallies.

The Owls were paced by Gordon, who had 19 points and an equal number of rebounds. He hit on nine of 18 attempts from the floor and one foul shot.