Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits


In the News: 1958-1959


From the Daily Pennsylvanian, February 26, 1959:


Owl Five Outlasts Quakers, 75-69

By Alan White


Quaker coach Jack McCloskey summed it up this way. “You can’t expect to make mistakes like we did and expect to win.”

Winning Temple Coach Harry Litwack pointed to his team’s superiority at the foul line, where they hit on 23 out of 27 as compared to the Red and Blue’s 15 for 24, as the reason for the Owls’ sixth victory of the campaign, which broke a nine game win famine.

Either way you look at it, Penn’s bid for their first win over the Owls since the inception of the Big Five competition was in vain as Temple, led by “Pickles” Kennedy, with 22 points and Bernie Ivens with 21 points, held off the Quakers’ second-half rally to prevail by six points, 75-69.

Trailing by ten, 37-27 at halftime, the Quakers, sparked by Bob Mlkvy, Joe Bowman, and Herky Rubincam fought back to go into the lead, 53-51 with a little over twelve minutes left to play.

However, the Owls on a jumper by Ivens and two fouls by Kennedy went back into the lead, 55-53 with 11:11 left to play, and held on to hand the Quakers their sixth straight loss and put them under the .500 mark for the first time this season.

In a contest that was billed as the farewell appearance at the Palestra of three Temple seniors, Pete Gross, Ophie Franklin, and Joey Goldenberg, the spotlight was stolen by Penn soph Mlkvy who gave his first indication of future stardom to the crowd with a 25-point and 22 rebound performance.

Hitting on seven of his first ten shots, Mlkvy kept the Quakers in the game throughout the first half as he tallied 18 of the team’s first 27 points in the first 20 minutes.

After scoring his fourteenth point on a set from the corner with 11:21 to play in the first half, the Red and Blue did not tally another two-pointer until Rubincam put in a 22 foot set from the left side, with 1:25 to go in the half.

During this spell, in which the Quakers only tallied four foul shots, Temple, paced by Ivens, Kennedy, and Goldenberg, built up a 33-22 margin.

This actually proved enough for the triumph. Although the Quakers did manage to catch up and even pull ahead in the second half, they did not have enough left in them to hold onto the lead.

After pulling even at 59 with about eight minutes to play, Penn stayed within 3 points until there were 50 seconds to play, when Owl reserve, Norm Ginsburg, substituted for Goldenberg, who had fouled out, canned two fouls to give Temple a 71-67 lead and ice the victory, for the Red and the White.

High scorers for the Red and Blue, outside of Mlkvy, were Rubincam with 13, Bowman with ten and Schmidt with nine.

Goldenberg with 15 and Franklin with nine were behind Ivens and Kennedy for the Owls.

The Quakers, led by Mlkvy’s 10 for 20 performance, hit on 38% of their shots while the Owls, sparked by Ivens’ nine for 18 made 37.1%. Temple had a 52-49 advantage on the backboards.