School of Engineering and Applied Science:
A Brief History
The School of Engineering and Applied Science is one of the oldest in the United States, tracing its beginnings to the establishment of the School of Mines, Arts, and Manufactures in 1852. The first Professor of Civil and Mining Engineering was appointed in 1852. The first graduate of the School received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1854. Since that time, the School has grown to seven departments, including the oldest chemical engineering course of study in continuous existence in the country, one of the first bioengineering programs, and the first alternative liberal arts program based in an engineering school.