Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits

UNIVERSITY HISTORY

School of Arts and Sciences:
A Brief History

small version of color photo of 1999 Hey Day showing a variety of students in red shirts with canes and straw hats
Hey Day 1999

Undergraduate education at Penn dates to the 1755 chartering of the College of Philadelphia, which has evolved into the College of Arts and Sciences. The College of Arts and Sciences was originally for men only; the College of Liberal Arts for Women was established in 1933. In 1974 all of Penn's liberal arts departments were united in the School of Arts and Sciences by merging the College of Arts and Sciences, the College for Women, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and four social sciences departments from the Wharton School.

The Graduate School was established in 1882 with the appointment of a Faculty of Philosophy. The College of General Studies celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1992; the place for continuing education, this school is now known as the College of Liberal and Professional Studies.