Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 19th Century

WEST PHILADELPHIA CAMPUS:
Initial Phase, 1872-1900

Timeline of Buildings

For locations see campus maps of 1885 and 1900.

Also available: an essay and interactive map which trace the history of title for the University's properties in West Philadelphia.

College Hall
1871-1872 (towers removed 1914)
Architect: Thomas Webb Richards

View original floor plans

William H. Rau photograph, c. 1890, of College Hall, looking south across Woodland Avenue

Medical Hall (later Logan Hall, now Claudia Cohen Hall)
1873-1874 (reconstructed after 1919 fire)
Architect: Thomas Webb Richards
36th between Locust and Spruce Streets

View original floor plans

F. Gutekunst photograph, c. 1890, of Medical Hall (later Logan Hall and then Claudia Cohen Hall), looking southeast across intersection of 36th Street and Woodland Avenue

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
1874 (demolished for and incorporated into 20th century Hospital construction)
Architect: Thomas Webb Richards
Spruce between 34th and 36th Streets

View original floor plans

1888 photograph, by William H. Rau, of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, looking south across Spruce Street

Robert Hare Medical and Dental Laboratory
1877-1878 (demolished 1969)
Architect: Thomas Webb Richards
36th and Spruce Streets, now the site of Williams Hall

Photograph, c. 1885, of Hare Labs, looking northeast across Spruce Street. Medical (Logan) Hall is visible to the left)

Henry C. Gibson Wing for Chronic Diseases
1883 (later demolished and incorporated into other Hospital buildings)
Architect: George W. and W.D. Hewitt
Spruce Street, attached to the west end of the original Hospital building

Photograph, c. 1905, of the Hospital's Gibson Wing, looking south across Spruce Street

Veterinary Hospital and Veterinary Hall
1883-1884
(separate Dog Hospital added by 1895, all demolished circa 1901)
Architect: Furness & Evans
Pine Street, south side, above 36th Street; now the site of the John Morgan Building

1880 photograph of Veterinary Hall and Veterinary Hospital

Biological Hall (later the John McFarlane Hall of Botany)
1884, 1887 (since demolished)
Architect: Frederick M. Mann
Vivarium added by 1900
Pine Street, south side, above 37th Street; site now occupied by David Goddard Labs (1962-1965)

Photograph of Biological Hall, taken by F. R. Newell before 1900

[Old] Athletic Field
1885 (until 1895)
Bounded by 36th, Spruce, 37th and Pine Streets; since 1895 the site of Quadrangle dormitories

Photograph of first athletic field on campus, taken by R. Newell & Son in 1894. Looking northeast across Pine Street near 37th Street. In the background are: Wistar Institute, center, with Hare Bldg. to right (now replaced by Williams Hall). Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania with Gibson Wing and Maternity Buildings on the right

Photographic Studios of Eadweard Muybridge
circa 1885 (demolished 1887)
Pine Street, north side, below 36th Street; later the site of the Maternity Hospital and now the Jonathan Rhoads Pavilion

Laundry and Machine Shops
circa 1885 (later demolished)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
Pine Street, north side, at about 35th Street, behind the original Hospital

Photograph, c. 1886, of Muybridge's outdoor studio, looking southwest with Veterinary School building in the background

Maternity Hospital and Mortuary Chapel (HUP)
circa 1887 (both later demolished for other Hospital construction)
Architects: Furness & Evans
On Pine Street, north side, below 36th Street

1894 photograph by Willilam H. Rau of the Maternity Hospital, on Pine Street below 36th Street

Dining Hall
by 1890
(demolished 1895)
South of College Hall, on site of present Perelman Quadrangle

Frame Dining Hall as seen in detail of photograph, c. 1891,looking west from 33rd and Spruce Streets

Botanical Gardens
circa 1890

Designer: John Muirhead MacFarlane, Professor of Botany

1906 photgraph of the Botanical Gardens, looking north toward the Quadrangle dormitories.  E. Moebius, photographer

Bennett Residence for Women
acquired by 1890 (adjacent properties added by 1900, all demolished in 1925 for construction of Bennett Hall, now Fisher-Bennett Hall)
Walnut Street, below 34th Street

1882 photograph looking west on Walnut Street, 34th Street intersection. Houses acquired for the Bennett Residence for Women are on the left

University Library (now Fisher Fine Arts Library)
1890-1891
Architects: Furness & Evans
34th between Walnut and Spruce Streets

Photograph taken by C.M. Gilbert, c. 1891, of University Library designed by Frank Furness

Lea Institute of Hygiene (later Smith Chemistry Laboratory and Lea Laboratory of Hygiene)
1891-1892
(demolished 1995)
Architects: Collins & Autenreith
34th Street, north of Spruce Street, now occupied by Vagelos Labs (1997)

Photograph of the Institute of Hygiene (Smith Chemistry Lab), taken by graduate student Franz Frederick Exner c. 1901

Nurses Hall
1891, 1897-1898
(moved in 1913, later demolished)
Architects: Addison Hutton, extensive additions by Cope & Stewardson
34th and Spruce Streets, now the site of H.U.P.'s J. William White Memorial Building (1913-1922)

1894 photograph of the original building of the Nurses Hall, before any additions

Agnew Memorial Pavilion (HUP)
1894-1897
(damaged by fire 1937)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
On Spruce Street, east end of Hospital complex. Surviving portions of building incorporated into Crothers Dulles building (1939-1941)

William H. Rau photograph of the Agnew Memorial Pavilion soon after 1900, looking south across Spruce Street from the grounds of Houston Hall

John Harrison Laboratory of Chemistry
1894 (destroyed by fire 1957, demolished c. 1969)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
34th Street, north of Spruce Street, now the site of the Chemistry Laboratories

Photograph of Harrison Lab, taken by graduate student Franz Frederick Exner c. 1901

Wistar Institute of Anatomy
1894, with 1897 addition
Architects: George W. & W. D. Hewitt
36th and Spruce Streets

R. Newell and Son photograph of Wistar Institute's 36th Street facade shortly after construction

Quadrangle Dormitories
1894-1911 (western triangle built first)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
Spruce between 36th and 38th Streets

Photograph of Memorial Tower entrance to the Dormitory Quadrangle, 37th and Spruce Streets,taken by graduate student Franz Frederick Exner c. 1901

Mechanical (Engineering) Laboratory and Central Heat and Power Plant
by 1895
Architects: Wilson Brothers & Company
Spruce Street, above 34th Street; site of present Irvine Auditorium (1928)

Photograph, c. 1901, of the Mechanical Lab, with Power Plant visible behind

William Pepper Laboratory of Clinical Medicine (HUP)
1894-1897
(later demolished)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
Spruce Street, west of Gibson Wing; now the site of Martin Maloney Pavilion

Pepper Maternity Hospital (HUP)
circa 1894 (later demolished)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
36th Street, south of Spruce Street; now the site of Jonathan Rhoads Pavilion

Photograph, probably about 1920, of Pepper Laboratory of Clinical Medicine

Houston Hall (First student union in the United States)
1894-1896
Architects: Frank Miles Day & Brothers, William Charles Hays, and Milton Bennett Medary
Spruce between 34th and 36th Streets

1900 photograph of Houston Hall, looking south east, with power plant in the left background, and the Hospital of the Univiversity of Pennsylvania in the right background

Dental Hall (later Fine Arts, now Hayden Hall)
1895-1896

Architect: Edgar V. Seeler
Locust between 33rd and 34th Streets

Photograph, of Dental Hall (later Hayden Hall), taken c. 1901 by graduate student Franz Frederick Exner

Franklin Field
1895

Field and bleachers only during the nineteenth century, except for a small Athletic Office added in southwest corner in the late 1890s; stadium and permanent stands built 1922 (lower deck) and 1925 (with upper deck)

Photograph of Franklin Field at the time of the 1901 Penn Harvard football game. Photographer: graduate student Franz Frederick Exner

Museum of Science and Art (now The University Museum)
1897-1899, West Court
Architects: Cope & Stewardson; Wilson Eyre; and Frank Miles Day and Bros.
Spruce and 33rd Streets

Photograph, c. 1910, of University Museum. Walter Rogers, photographer

Law School (also known as Lewis Hall)
1898-1902
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
34th between Sansom and Chestnut Streets

Photograph of Law School, taken c. 1901 by graduate student Franz Frederick Exner

Morgan Laboratory of Physics
acquired 1900 (built 1892 as part of the Foulke and Long Institute, an orphanage)
Architects: Cope & Stewardson
34th between Walnut and Locust Streets

1902 photograph of Morgan Laboratory. Photographer: A.W. Goodspeed