Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 19th Century

PENN'S SECOND CAMPUS, 1829-1871:
Twin Buildings at Ninth and Market Streets

In 1829 Penn demolished the President's House on the Ninth Street campus and replaced it with twin marble-trimmed brick buildings designed in the Georgian style by William Strickland. The College and the Faculty of Medicine had separate buildings, identical in facade, but arranged internally for each department's specific needs.

Image of a mid-nineteenth century sketch
  • View one
    Early sketch showing Medical Department at left and Collegiate Department at right, with St. Stephen's Church in the background
1830 engraving of College and Medical Department buildings with carriages, c. 1830's-1840s
Photograph of College and Medical Department buildings with carriages, c. 1830's-1840s
  • View four
    Photograph, mid-nineteenth century
  • View five
    Medical Hall, 1872 photograph by Newell
College Hall, Ninth Street campus, plan of first floor, ca. 1870. Includes lecture room used by Doctors Carson, F. Smith, and Stille; Dr. Roger's laboratory and lecture room; Dean's office and offices of Dr. Smith and Dr. Carson; 2 fire proof rooms, janitor's room, work rooms and storage
  • View floor plans
    Floor plans of College Hall and Medical Hall on the Ninth Street Campus, done ca. 1870 by Thomas Webb Richards in preparation for the University's move to West Philadelphia