Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 19th Century

PENN'S SECOND CAMPUS, 1801-1829:
The Dunlap House in Market St., 1807

Black and white image of 1807 view

Second Penn Campus:

East from 10th and Market Streets, with Dunlap House on south side of Market (at right) and rear of Ninth Street Campus under trees at center, 1807.

Description:

The Dunlap House in Market St., 1807. View by John James Barralet, showing the "President's House" as the University of Pennsylvania with its Medical School wing (and cupola) in the distance behind the Lombardy poplar trees.

Artist:

This is a reproduction of a restrike of original engraving by John James Barralet in the Stephen Girard Collection, Girard College, Philadelphia.

Digital Reference:

Not available

Collection Location:

University Archives, The University of Pennsylvania
Iconography Reference Collection
Box labeled "Center City Campuses," FF 7 labeled "9th Street - President's House Dunlap Painting"