Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 19th Century

PENN'S SECOND CAMPUS, 1801-1829:
"President's House" at Ninth and Market Streets

The University occupied the "President's House" at Ninth and Market Streets, Philadelphia, from 1801 until 1829. The President's House was built 1790 as the intended residence for the U.S. President, renovated as the University of Pennsylvania, and finally demolished in 1829 in preparation for the erection of two new University buildings on the same site.

W. Birch & Son color print of the President's House in 1800
  • View one
    Facade of "President's House" viewed from the northeast, by W. Birch & Son, 1800
Black and white image of 1807 view of rear of President's House from 10th and Market Streets
  • View two
    Looking east from 10th and Market Streets, with Dunlap House on south side of Market (at right) and rear of "President's House" (Ninth Street Campus) under trees at center before 1806-1807
Sepia-toned image of President's House," viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view).  Before trees grew up inside the wall
  • View three
    President's House," viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view). Drawing by Armstrong, engraved by Kneass, Young and Company
Tinted engraving of President's House, viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view)
  • View four
    "President's House," viewed from the southeast, with 1806-1807 Medical Department wing (at left of view). Engraved by Kneass, Young and Company.
Color slide of watercolor after William Strickland
  • View five
    "President's House" viewed from the southeast (after the 1817 addition of the cupola to the Medical Department wing), after a watercolor by William Strickland
  • View six
    St. Stephen's Church, Tenth Street., showing the rear of the "President's House." The small residences at rear of church may have been used as anatomical laboratories