Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 19th Century

COLLEGE CLASS OF 1852:
Faculty of the Medical Department, 1852

Also see the list of Faculty in the Department of Liberal Arts (College)

The teaching staff consisted of ten professors (two were emeritus), two lecturers and one demonstrator in the subjects of anatomy, chemistry, materia medica, obstetrics, pharmacy, surgery, the theory and practice of medicine, and clinical medicine and clinical surgery. The University Catalogue, 1851-52 provides a description of the requirements for admission and of the curriculum.

Nathaniel Chapman, M.D.
Emeritus Professor of the Theory and Practice of Medicine and of Clinical Medicine

Robert Hare, M.D.
Emeritus Professor of Chemistry

William Gibson, M.D.
Professor of Surgery

William E. Horner, M.D.
Professor of Anatomy

Samuel Jackson, M.D.
Professor of the Institutes of Medicine

George Bacon Wood, M.D.
Professor of the Theory and Practice of Medicine and of Clinical Medicine

Hugh L. (Hugh Lenox) Hodge, M.D.
Professor of Obstetrics and of the Diseases of Women and Children

James B. Rogers, M.D.
Professor of Chemistry

Joseph Carson, M.D.
Professor of Materia Medica and of Pharmacy

George W. Norris, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Surgery

William W. Gerhard, M.D.
Assistant Lecturer in Demonstrative Medicine

Henry Hollingsworth Smith, M.D.
Assistant Lecturer in Demonstrative Surgery

John Neill, M.D
Demonstrator of Anatomy