Archives > Historical Features > Exhibits > 18th Century

THE ACADEMY

Detail from a sketch of original Academy building by French artist Pierre Eugene DuSimitiere.  This is the only surviving view of the original campus.

Campus

Title Page of Theophilus Grew's textbook for students in the Academy's Mathematical School

Curriculum and organization

Portrait of Academy English master David James Dove

Faculty

Reproduction of water color by Charles M. Lefferts, 1913

Student Life

Cover of Franklin's Proposals relating to the Education of Youth in Pensylvania

Origins

 


The 187 pages (including many biographies) of this exhibit were researched, written and created by Mary D. McConaghy, Michael Silberman, and Irina Kalashnikova. This exhibit first appeared on the Web in 2004, as part of the celebration of Benjamin Franklin's 300th birthday.