Archives > Online Collection Guides

ARCHIVAL COLLECTIONS

Raymond C. Saalbach
Collection, 1959 - 1971

UPX 12 S111

0.5 Cubic ft.
Prepared by J.M. Duffin
April 2000

Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.

PROVENANCE

Donated to the University Archives in July 1996 (Accession No. 1996:88).

 

ARRANGEMENT

The collection is arranged into two series, Album One and Album Two. Each series is arranged by the original page or image number.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL NOTE

Raymond C. Saalbach was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1949 with an A.M. in English. After graduation he embarked on a long career with the University. In 1949 he became the Assistant in the Admissions Office. A few years later he was appointed as the field representative of the Admissions Office. From 1957 to 1960 he served as Vice-Dean of Admissions. In 1964 he became Director of Admissions of the Graduate Division of the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce. After a brief period as the Training and Communications Officer in the Personnel Office, Saalbach joined the Development Department in 1969. At the time of his retirement in 1981, Saalbach was the Assistant Director of Annual Giving.

In addition to a long and varied administrative career, Saalbach also received two degrees while working at the University-a M.S. in Education (1950) and a Doctor of Education (1952).

 

SCOPE AND CONTENT

This is a photograph collection of about 200 images which document several major building activities on the University of Pennsylvania campus during the early 1960s. The first half of Album One contains informal snapshots of staff members of the Office of Student Financial Aid sometime in the mid-1960s. The remainder of the collection is images of new buildings and construction which occurred during the University's period of greatest physical expansion. Prominent among these are photographs of the Annenberg School of Communication, Van Pelt and Dietrich Libraries, and the School of Education and Social Science Center. There are several views of the sites of the new buildings prior to the demolition of the pre-existing structures. In addition to the images of new buildings, there are several photographs of the older University buildings. All of the photographs are numbered and the images in Album Two are all dated.

The collection consists entirely of color prints varying in size from 3.5 by 3.5 inches to 6.25 by 9.25 inches. Original negatives can be found for almost every image in the collection.

Return to the top

Color photo of demolition at Walnut and McAlprin Streets for Annenberg Center

CONTENTS:

Provenance

Arrangement

Biographical Note

Scope and Content

Inventory and entire guide available as a PDF file (133 kb, 12 pages)

 

How to read, search and print PDF files

 

 

RELATED LINKS:

Images from the Saalbach Collection:
Exhibit on the Closing of the 200 block of South McAlpin Street and Construction of the Annenberg School of Communications

 

How to obtain reproductions of images

 

More University Archives collections of photographs and film

 

Color photograph of West side of 200 block of South McAlpin Street, the new Annenberg School in the background