Fairman Rogers, 1833 - 1900,
Papers, 1849 - 1862
UPT 50 R725
0.25 Cubic ft.
Prepared by Mary D. McConaghy
Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.
Transferred to the Archives from the Special Collections of Van Pelt Library in 1992 and 1998.
Fairman Rogers (1833-1900) graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with an A. B. in 1853 and an A. M. in 1856. He served the University as Professor of Civil Engineering until 1864 and then as a Trustee from 1871 to 1886. Rogers engaged in surveys of the Potomac River for the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey, and was well published on engineering topics. He was equally well known, however, for his skill as a horseman, in both riding and driving; he was the founder of the Philadelphia Coaching Club and the first person in Philadelphia to drive a four-in-hand.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The collection consists of a scrapbook, a diary and 27 other items, including letters, memos, meeting minutes, lists of students, lecture notes, receipts, accounts, and circulars kept during his tenure as Professor. Of major concern was the restructuring of the School with particular focus on the Department of Mines, Arts, and Manufactures. Included are two pamphlets printed in reaction to the reorganization of the University: Alonzo Potter to J. R. Ingersoll and Henry Verthake to William M. Meridith. The diary includes the journal of the Potomac Survey in 1862, during the Civil War.