SUBJECT GUIDES

Medical History at the University of Pennsylvania
Medical Education - Administration

Prepared by Joseph - James Ahern
February 2013

Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.

 

Archives General Collection 1740 – 1820
UPA 3

The Archives General Collection contains material from the dean’s records which consist of faculty minutes and correspondence 1765 through to 1820.

 

Archives General Collection, 1820 – 1930
UPA 3, 40 Cu Ft.

The Archives General material contains material from the dean’s records related to the Medical School faculty from the mid-nineteenth century through to the early twentieth century. The collection is arranged chronologically.

 

School of Medicine Records, 1767 – 1986
UPC 2, 172.1 Cu Ft.

The School of Medicine was founded in 1765, and is the oldest medical school in the United States. The School of Medicine Records contains correspondence, departmental records, minutes for faculty and committee meetings, and student records.

  • University Medical Magazine
    UPL 1010.91
    1888 - 1900

  • University of Pennsylvania Medical Bulletin
    UPL 1010.91
    1901 – 1904, 1908-1911, 1952 – 1957

  • Medical Affairs
    UPL 1010.915
    1959 – 1975

  • Health Affairs
    UPL 1010.915
    1973 – 1985

  • News of the Graduate School of Medicine
    UPL 1010.92
    1950 – 1957

  • Report on the Graduate School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania
    UPI 491.41 
    1956-1963

  • Department of Rehabilitation Medicine. University of Pennsylvania. School of Medicine
    UPI 491.44 
    1987-1997

  • Department of Orthopaedic Surgery University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Annual Report
    UPI 491.46 
    1979

  • Report of the Philadelphia Polyclinic and College for Graduates in Medicine
    UPI 496.2 
    1889 – 1912

  • School of Medicine Announcements
    UPL 10.91
    1844 – 2000 (with gaps)

  • Graduate School of Medicine
    UPL 10.92 
    1893 – 1967 (with gaps)

  • Annual Announcement of the Philadelphia Polyclinic and College for Graduates in Medicine
    UPL 10.924 
    1891 – 1919

  • Announcement of the Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia.
    UPL 10.925 
    1881 – 1920

  • Biomedical Graduate Studies Catalog
    UPL 10.94 
    1987 – 1993

 

Auxiliary School of Medicine Records, 1865 – 1898
UPC 6, 0.5 Cu Ft.

In 1865 George Bacon Wood endowed an Auxiliary Faculty of Medicine with five chairs to teach basic science courses. Each member of the auxiliary faculty delivered 34 lectures, and students were not required to attend in order to graduate. Wood’s endowment allowed students and graduates of the Medical School to attend lectures for free. The Records for the Auxiliary School of Medicine contains a faculty minute book for the period 1865 – 1898.

 

Dermatology Collection Records, 1936 – 1954
UPP 118, 7 Cu Ft.

This collection has not been fully processed, but contains early material related to dermatology at the University of Pennsylvania, as well as the Stokes Institute, and material from Herman Beerman, Donald Pillsbury, and Frederick De Forest Weidman.

 

Graduate School of Medicine Records, 1920 – 1973
UPC 3, 162 Cu Ft.

The Graduate School of Medicine was formed when Medico-Chirurgical College and Hospital of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Polyclinic and College of Graduate Medicine merged with the University of Pennsylvania in 1917 and 1918. The Records for the Graduate School of Medicine have not been fully processed, but a rough inventory is available.

 

School of Allied Medical Professions Records, 1919 – 1981
UPC 7, 12 Cu Ft.

The Philadelphia School for Occupational Therapy was organized in the spring of 1918 under the auspices of the Central Branch of the National League for Women’s Service. In 1950, the Philadelphia School for Occupational Therapy merged with the University Hospital’s Division of Physical Therapy to create the School of Auxiliary Medical Services at the University of Pennsylvania. It was renamed the School of Allied Medical Professions (SAMP) in 1960. SAMP graduated its last class in May 1981, and the school was closed on June 30, 1981. The collection consists of the General Records, Minutes, and Student Transcripts.

 

School of Dental Medicine Records, 1878 – 1988
UPC 4, 142 Cu Ft.

The School of Dental Medicine opened in April 1878 with Dr. Essig as Secretary of the faculty (a position equivalent to the deanship). After Harvard and Michigan, Penn became the third university in the country to establish a school of dental medicine. The School of Dental Medicine Records document the development of the school, its students and alumni from its founding into the Twentieth Century.

  • School of Dental Medicine. Blueprint for Progress. A Ten Year Report
    UPI 496.4 
    1972 – 1982

  • School of Dentistry University of Pennsylvania Thomas W. Evans Museum and Dental Institute
    UPL 10.923 
    1950 – 1991 (with gaps)

  • School of Dental Medicine Catalog
    UPL 10.95 
    1878 – 2001 (with gaps)

  • First Annual Announcement of the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery
    UPL 10.951
    1956

  • Advanced Dental Education, Division of School of Dental Medicine
    UPL 10.952 
    1987 – 1997

  • Oral Hygiene Announcement
    UPL 10.956
    1921 – 1957

  • Continuing Education School of Dental Medicine
    UPL 10.957 
    1983

  • School of Dental Medicine Catalog
    UPL 10.96 
    1982 – 1997

  • Public Hygiene, School of Hygiene, Public Health
    UPL 10.98
    1909 – 1930

 

School of Nursing Records, 1908 – 1998
UPC 8, 61 Cu Ft.

Although the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania started a nurse training program as early as 1886, the University did not begin its nursing degree program on a collegiate basis until 1935 when, at the request of the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association, the Board of Trustees of the University authorized the establishment of a Department of Nursing Education in the School of Education. The records of the School of Nursing reflect the history of the school, its functions and programs, as well as its relationship with the University and other organizations. The collection consists of, among other things, annual reports, committee records, and committee records.

  • School of Nursing Annual Report
    UPI 492.3 
    1898, 1989-1991

  • School of Nursing Announcement
    UPL 10.93 
    1951 – 1967

  • School of Nursing Hospital of Graduate School of Medicine
    UPL 10.936 
    1922 – 1930 (with gaps)

  • School of Nursing Graduate Program
    UPL 10.937 
    1962 – 2003 (with gaps)

 

School of Veterinary Medicine Records, 1832 – 1991
UPC 5, 45 Cu Ft.

One of the oldest of its kind in North America, the School of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania is the only veterinary school in the United States that was a direct outgrowth of the University's School of Medicine. It was founded in 1882 when University Trustee Joshua Bertram Lippincott donated $10,000 for the purpose of establishing veterinary school within the University. The Historical Material series records the school in its formative stage. It features minute books for the Board of Managers, 1889-1954, for the faculty, 1909-1963, and for alumni societies, 1901-1960. The Administration series constitutes the bulk of the collection. Included in it are a biographical data file of faculty members and prominent alumni.

  • Veterinary Medicine School of Report
    UPI 498
    1970 – 2006 (with gaps)

  • School of Veterinary Medicine Report. School Related: Ad Hoc Committee to Make Recommendations Concerning the Needs and Priorities of the Pre-Clinical Areas of the School as Applied to Teaching and Research
    UPI 498.1 
    1973

  • School of Veterinary Medicine Report. Student and Faculty Related.
    UPI 498.2 
    1969 – 2002 (with gaps)

  • Veterinary Medicine Bulletin
    UPL 10.97
    1884 – 1999

  • University Bulletin Veterinary Extension Quarterly
    UPL 10.975 
    1921 – 1959

 

Edward J. Stemmler Papers, 1942-1999
UPT 50 S825, 11 Cu Ft.

Edwin J. Stemmler graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1960, and began a twenty nine year career at the University. Starting as an intern in 1960, he rose to the position of Executive Vice President of the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center. The Edward J. Stimmler Papers documents his professional career at the University, as well as his activities in a number of professional and medical institutions.

 

Vice President for Medical Affairs Records, 1920 – 1983
UPC 1, 3.75 Cu Ft.

The position of Vice President for Medical Affairs was created in 1931, and was first held by Alfred Stengel, M.D. This University vice-president had charge of the University's Medical Division and directed the administrative and academic activities and affairs of the schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Nursing; and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains correspondence, Medical Faculty Council Records, and scrapbooks.