SUBJECT GUIDES

Medical History at the University of Pennsylvania
Hospitals

Prepared by Joseph - James Ahern
February 2013

Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.

 

Diagnostic Hospital Records, 1861 – 1920
UPC 50.4, 0.25 Cu Ft.

Diagnostic Hospital was incorporated in 1861 as the Charity Hospital. As indicated by its name, the Charity Hospital’s goal was to provide medical assistance to the industrial and manufacturing workers of Philadelphia. In 1920 the Hospital’s Board of Trustees petitioned the state to amend the Hospital's charter by changing the name to Diagnostic Hospital. The Diagnostic Hospital Records detail the administrative and financial aspects of Charity Hospital in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

 

Graduate Hospital Records, 1930 – 1963
UPC 13, 26.5 Cu Ft.

Graduate Hospital was founded in 1889 as Philadelphia Polyclinic Hospital. In 1916 Polyclinic Hospital merged with the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Medicine to serve as the School’s clinical teaching facility. The Graduate Hospital Records document the administrative history of the facility.

 

Gynecean Hospital Records, 1887 – 1939
UPC 550.6, 1 Cu Ft.

The Gynecean Hospital was founded in 1888 as a women’s medical facility in Philadelphia. The Gynecean Hospital Records document the administrative history of the hospital up to its 1925 merger with the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

 

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Records, 1871 – 1963
UPC 12, 11.5 Cu Ft.

The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania has its origins in the University of Pennsylvania’s move to West Philadelphia in 1872. The University’s Medical faculty and alumni petitioned the Board of Trustees for a University-owned hospital to provide clinical instruction for students. The Trustees agreed and the documentary record of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania began in June 1871. The records document the administrative and financial history of the Hospital.

 

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Public Relations Records, 1898-1988
UPC 511, 1.5 Cu Ft.

The Hospital's Public Relations Department was responsible for providing media with information and images related to Hospital events. The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Public Relations Records contains information files and photographs related to the expansion and operations of the Hospital.

 

Board of Women Visitors Records, 1861-2011
UPC 506, 25 Cu Ft.

The Board of Women Visitors was created in 1875 when the Board of Managers for the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania appointed a Board of Lady Visitors to tend to the needs of the patients and assist with the various housekeeping chores. As the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania grew, so did the tasks undertaken by the Board of Women Visitors to include fund raising, social services, and operation of the Hospital shop. The Board of Women Visitor Records document the activities of the organization to provide services and funding to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

 

Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. Dispensary Notebooks for Neurological Disorders, 1878-1907
UPC 512, 20 Volumes

When the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania opened in 1875, the Dispensary for Nervous Diseases was one of seven dispensaries at the Hospital. The Dispensary Notebooks for Neurological Disorders consists of three sets of volumes arranged into three series; Dispensary Notebooks which contain the daily log of neurological cases treated; Case Study Notebooks which contain information based on patient treatment grouped by specific diagnosis; and William G. Spiller Reprints which include two compilations of papers authored by William G. Spiller and a publication of papers by physicians associated with the William Pepper Laboratory.

 

Howard Hospital Records, 1859 – 1930
UPC 50.1, 2.25 Cu Ft.

Howard Hospital was organized in 1853 as a charity hospital to provide medical care for factory workers who lived in what was then the western part of Philadelphia. The Howard Hospital records document the administrative activities of the Hospital during the early twentieth century.

 

Medico- Chirurgical College and Hospital of Philadelphia Records, 1875 – 1951
UPC 50.3 14 Cu Ft.

The Medico-Chirurgical College had its origins in 1848 as the Medico-Chirurgical Society which obtained a corporate charter from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania similar to that of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The charter was amended in 1867 to transform the society into a medical college authorized to confer degrees. It would not be until 1881 that Dr. George P. Oliver, who had been a member of the old society and held title to the new charter, organized a faculty to hold classes. Space for the new school was secured in the second floor of a bank on the south west corner of Broad and Market Streets. About 1886 Medico-Chirurgical College absorbed the Philadelphia Dental College and the Philadelphia School of Anatomy and moved to new accommodations on the north side of Cherry Street between 17th and 18th Streets. In 1891 the College opened a hospital in the same location. In 1916 Medico-Chirurgical College merged with the University of Pennsylvania to form a new Graduate School of Medicine. The College’s buildings were demolished in 1918 to make way for the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. The Medico-Chirurgical College and Hospital of Philadelphia records document the administrative activities of the facility from the late nineteenth century into the twentieth century.

 

Pennsylvania Hospital, 1751 – 1978

Pennsylvania Hospital was founded in 1751 as the first hospital in the nation. Still in operation today, the Pennsylvania Hospital retains its historic records in the original building on Eighth Street in Old City Philadelphia. Those interested in the history and collections of the Hospital should contact the archivist and lead curator of the collection at Pennsylvania Hospital.

 

Philadelphia General Hospital Records, 1938 – 1977
UPC 56, 24 Cu Ft.

Philadelphia General Hospital was run by the City of Philadelphia, and was located in West Philadelphia where Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia now stands. Originally known as the Blockley Almshouse and dating back to 1835, the name was changed in 1919. The City closed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1977. The Records of Philadelphia General Hospital document the administrative and financial history of the institution. Additional material is held by the Philadelphia City Archives.

 

Polyclinic Hospital Records, 1824 – 1954
UPC 50.2, 3 Cu Ft.

Polyclinic Hospital was found in 1889 in connection with the College for Graduates in Medicine. Initially located at 20th and South Street, new facilities were constructed on Lombard Street between 18th and 19th Streets. When the College for Graduates in Medicine merged with the University of Pennsylvania to form the Graduate School of Medicine, Polyclinic Hospital became Graduate Hospital. Collection documents the administrative and financial history of Polyclinic Hospital.

 

Presbyterian Medical Center, 1799 – 1997
UPC 500, 117 Cu Ft.

The Presbyterian Medical Center originated as a charitable institution named the Presbyterian Hospital in Philadelphia. The Collection documents the history of the Presbyterian Medical Center of Philadelphia since its founding in 1871.

 

Presbyterian Medical Center Ladies Aid Society Records, 1872 – 2002
UPC 501, 7 Cu Ft.

The Ladies Aid Society of the Presbyterian Medical Center was founded in October 1872. The Society became gradually a major source of funding for various projects of the Presbyterian Hospital. The Collection documents the history and development of the Ladies Aid Society of the Presbyterian Medical Center of Philadelphia since its founding in 1872.

 

PUBLICATIONS

  • Vital Signs, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania Publication
    UPL 1010.918
    1976 – 1982, 1985, 1986

  • Hospital Annual Report. Board of Managers Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
    UPI 493
    1872 – 1973, 1986, 1990

  • An Account of the Inauguration of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Containing the Addresses of Excellency Governor Hartranft and Hon. William A. Wallace
    UPG 70.932 
    1874

  • Medical Center of the University of Pennsylvania Triennial Report
    UPI 491.4
    1973-1976, 1994-1995

  • Department of Surgery Report of Operations, a Survey University of Pennsylvania
    UPI 491.35 
    1923 – 1928

  • Report of the Drug Dependence Treatment Center, Philadelphia VA Hospital and the University of Pennsylvania
    UPI 491.47 
    1979

  • Medical Center. University of Pennsylvania Report.
    UPI 494
    1970 – 1990 (with gaps)

  • Presbyterian University of Pennsylvania Medical Center Annual Report
    UPI 495
    1971 – 1983 (with gaps)

  • Graduate School of Medicine Medico-Chirurgical College and Hospital and Polyclinic Section
    UPI 496
    1919 – 1980 (with gaps)

  • Medico-Chirurgical Hospital
    UPI 496.1 
    1913-14

  • Polyclinic Hospital (College for Graduates in Medicine) Annual Reports
    UPI 496.2
    1895 – 1912

  • Report to the Trustees by the Dean and Director University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
    UPI 491.42 
    1970

  • Report of the Development Study of the Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
    UPI 496.3 
    1960

  • Scheie Eye Institute Report
    UPI 491.2 
    1991 – 1995